Thursday, January 30, 2014

"Desert Places" Review at Fanzine

Yes, it's been awhile. And no, no grand promises of more consistent updates, BUT: I have another nonfiction publication, my first since 2011:

I reviewed The Desert Places for the excellent, often overlooked Fanzine (I just misspelled it as Franzine, which could be the name of a pretty good curmudgeonly Jonathan Franzen appreciation site, but I digress). The Desert Places is a wonderful, creepy collaboration between Amber Sparks and Robert Kloss, with some stunning illustrations by artist Matt Kish. It was published by Curbside Splendor last year, and I'm honored to review it for such a terrific literary publication.

The link is here.

I want to thank the awesome, talented Sarah Rose Etter for being open to my review, providing me with some great editing, and for being a terrific human being and writer. Visit her site. Read her fantastic writing (I highly recommend "Tongue Party." I read it a couple years ago, and it's one of those pieces that has stayed with me since my first reading). And support Fanzine. Not because they published me today (I could create an awesome list of great publications that have rejected my work more than once). But because they have such a great mix of literary reviews and original stories.

More to come! I have at least one if not two more book reviews forthcoming. The spring semester has been manageable, but I know it'll get very busy before too long, so I'm attempting to get these pieces ready before I'm delightfully swamped.

Happy Thursday to all.

No comments:

2021 Readings, 2022 Goals

In keeping with the 2020 trend, my reading total was pretty sad, as you can tell.  As always, it's about quality, not quantity, but sure...