Thursday, February 26, 2009

Announcing "The Underrated Blog-a-Thon"



Today marks the one year anniversary of Chicago Ex-Patriate. As I've said a few times, I really want to thank everyone who reads this, even if it's just a glance every few months or so. I really had no idea what this little blog would become when I started it. Granted, it's still little, but I feel like I have a consistent tone, and I'm grateful for all of the feedback I've received.

As I mentioned a few months ago, I have a plan to celebrate this milestone, so I'm announcing my first blog-a-thon, "The Underrated Blog-a-Thon." Since I don't tend to write about any one subject, I feel that it's only fair to open up contributions to all areas of creativity, whether it be literature, film, music, art, poetry, design, or whatever else you can think of to add. I chose "underrated" because it's a signifier that everyone can feel passionate about. We all have long mental lists of arts that we believe fly under the radar too often.

There's really nothing limiting about this blog-a-thon. Perhaps there's a band that doesn't get any real attention, either indie or mainstream. Write about it. Perhaps your favorite movie is Casablanca, but you feel that there are some aspects of the film that do not get proper attention. Do you have books on your shelf that nobody seems to read? Give them their due. "The Underrated Blog-a-Thon" will be running from March 23rd to March 27th.

If you have a blog, please feel free to contribute. Any questions? Comments are welcome. I'm also available via Facebook or e-mail (jyates3@hotmail.com).

5 comments:

jpb said...

This ought to be fun. My gut-level impulse is to do David Cronenberg's eXistenZ, but who knows what else may emerge in weeks to come?

Joshua said...

Count me in, of course.

and to the guy above me, yeah eXistenZ is a hell of a movie.

James Yates said...

Jeremy-By all means, if you feel you have multiple ideas (and the time to do them), go crazy. I look forward to seeing what you come up with for this.

Joshua--Thanks! And thanks for posting it on your blog. I know I totally messed up the size, so it's not very visible on a regular blog list, but hopefully people will click the link to get the full idea.

James Yates said...

Also, to anyone reading, multiple submissions are welcome, if you have the time/inspiration. Since I'm assuming and hoping that people will be clicking on links via other blogs, thus coming to this main post, I'll be using the comments section here as a sort of mailbox drop for questions and ideas. But don't hesitate to e-mail me. All lines of communication are used at pretty much the same rate.

Joshua said...

Because you can't really read the logo when its shrunken down, I took one element of it, blew it up, then threw some writing on top of it.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_mHVCpqVgj_0/Sa2DqnhqivI/AAAAAAAAA6Y/XhvVm9Zm3Po/s320/underrated.png

2021 Readings, 2022 Goals

In keeping with the 2020 trend, my reading total was pretty sad, as you can tell.  As always, it's about quality, not quantity, but sure...